A Legacy Of Love...
This church began in a small wooden structure on land which was donated by Frank Watts, a black landowner. Members of the Baker, Robinson, Wade and Watts families were among the first members of the church.
During the late 1920's the members died or moved away; the church ceased to operate for several years. In 1931, due largely to the efforts of the John Evans' family and the Madison Baker family, the church reopened. The structure enlarged and remodeled, yet still retained much of its original fabric. Reverend W.H. Horne agreed to serve as preacher twice a month on the first and third Sundays.
Other serving Pastors were Reverends Lyles and Willoughby, Amos English, Julius Chamblers, W.H. Horne, V.C.Cauthen, A.C. Chambers, J.S. Dean, Josheph Huntley, E.A. Robinson, W.E. Knox, U.M. Brevard, G.V. Lewis, C.N. Evans, J.D. McMANUS, C.W. Williams, J. Warren Parson, James Hawthorne, S.J. Young, Warren Parsons (second term), and Dennis Wilson.
The Original structure was a one-room wooden building with a wood stove which was later brick veneered. Under the leadership of Rev. C.N. Evans the first modern building was erected. This was a brick structure with indoor bathrooms. The wooden building served as the fellowship hall and Sunday School classrooms. The cost of construction was kept down because the men of the church donated their labor. Rev. Parsons resigned before the project was completed and Rev. James Hawthorne was called as Pastor. We began to hold worship service every Sunday and the construction project was continued. William and Frankie Logan and other faithful members came forward to provide funds, supplies, furniture and labor to complete the job. Upon its completion, the wooden structure was torn down.
From the growth and development of Pleasant Plain such ministers as S.L. Evans, Charlie Huey, Brice Horton, Jimmy Evans, Larry Thompson and Jonathan Griffin have answered God's call.
On July 13, 1984, with Rev. S.J. Young as Pastor, the church became the victim of arson and was burned to the ground. Even though the beloved building was gone, the spirit, love and trust in God remained steadfast. Love, concern, and donations came to Pleasant Plain from all corners of the United States through the "Love Fund" established by the "We Care" committee of Lancaster County which was to aid in the rebuilding of Pleasant Plain and two other churches destroyed by fire that same night. We entered and dedicated the present on the first Sunday in May 1985.
The present Deacon Board is composed of Dwight Evans, Donnie Clyburn, Fred A. Mills, John Lewis, and James Huey.
Our present Pastor, Rev. David A. Wright, accepted pastorship in July 2004. Pastor Wright is a preacher, a teacher, a man called by God, led by God to do His works. Under his guidance by the Holy Spirit the Production Ministry has become a functioning part of this congregation; a second scholarship fund has been established to assist members who are furthering their education beyond high school; the church has become a member of the Union Bright Light Association; the vocal choir has been re-organized to become the Heritage Choir; New Members Training has been instituted; "PLAIN" Talk (a teaching segment on a given subject) is in place and the church building program has been expanded. Under the leadership of this Shepherd we are growing spiritually and in numbers as we continue "BUILDING ON A SOLID FOUNDATION".